Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers Day




I've already had the sweetest and best part of my Mothers Day. After Kate woke up from her nap we danced. I danced with my beautiful daughter right here in our loft.I know that next Mothers Day she will be too busy walking and exploring to be held in her Mommy's arms for any long period of time. But this Mothers Day she snuggled her little body into me and laid her head on my shoulder like she could stay there for ever. And right there in that moment I felt so tremendously blessed. So blessed to be a Mom. And as I am discovering each day what that means I get to reap the rewards with out even fully knowing what it means. The two pictures above show my two Mothers Day presents from the three most important people in my life. The mother/daughter bracelets are from my Mom. A sweet present that meant more to me than she will ever know. The statue is from my Kate and my Jared. Two special gifts that will always remind me of the year I became a Mommy.

My Mom is one special woman. A unique lady who knows how to follow her dreams. I love her so much for that. Mom thank you for giving me the two best gifts that a Mom could ever give a daughter. The first gift was the protection you offered in my early life. I remember "I Promise" and the locket. A secure little world that you created for me until I could overcome my fears. What a wise Mom you are. In my teenage years you protected me from myself. What a gift that I resented at the time but one that is so appreciated in hindsight. The second gift, one that is so much harder to give is the reason your heart aches today. The gift of independence. You gave me the courage to find my own life. To make my own choices. I remember the day you dropped me off at college. You didn't let me cry out my eyes. You were strong. You were strong for me. It was not the tearful dramatic episode I had envisioned. You hugged me tight, said goodbye, and turned around. You were saying go! Make your own life! THANK YOU!!!! You gave that gift to all of us. Until I have to let Kate go I know I will never know the true pain and importance of that choice but for now I just want you to know I will be eternally grateful. One choice that is instinctual for a Mom and the other so very hard to do. I love you Mom with all of my heart.

Today I am mindful of all of the wonderful Moms that I know. God has also put other Moms on my heart. Some that I will never know. New Mommies like me who are just starting this wonderful crazy journey. Moms who are spending their Mother Days peering into isolettes praying that their babies grow stronger and stronger everyday. Moms who are surrounded by their children but thinking of their angel baby that never had the chance to be born. Moms who are visiting tiny graves today to be close to their babies. Moms who will get a phone call on Mothers day filled with joy and good wishes. Moms that will get the reluctant call filled with tension because of past hurts. Moms that will wait by the phone for a call that never comes because her wayward child is too stubborn and selfish. Moms who won't get a call this Mothers Days because their grown up babies have gone to be with Jesus. Future Moms who are struggling with infertility. Moms of soldiers who hang on every email and phone call praying for round the clock safety. I am also thinking of the many kids and adults today who don't have a Mom to call or be with today because their Mom has gone to heaven.

All of you Moms are wonderful and whatever situation you are in please know that God is holding us all in his arms. Sharing in our joy and our pain. Sharing in our parenting breakthroughs as well as our frustrations. I feel so blessed to be sharing this journey with so many wonderful women and I feel especially blessed to be led by my great God through this journey.

4 comments:

GriffinSisters said...

I'm sorry I'm late but I still want to tell you Happy Mother's Day! It seems I just didn't get the time to get on yesterday to send you these warm wishes, but you were on my mind.
I know that your message was sent to all mothers but I must say that you have such a way with words and you make it seem as though you are speaking directly to a certain person! You are an amazing mother and I, after seeing you with Kate, I just sounds odd that you are having to "come into your montherly ways!" You and Jared are wonderful parents, and I pray that God blesses you three each day.
We love you,
James, Shavonne, and Brock

Carolyn said...

Betsy,
I so wanted to call you yesterday and send my greetings but there were a few obstacles that prevented me from it. However, I thought of you and was soooo happy to just know you were having a special day with your little girl.

Thank you for your beautiful post and kind thoughts to others. I think it is so important that we recognize and lean on one another as Mom's - we are surrounded by so many who influence and show us the ropes and experience this beautiful thing called "motherhood" together. Thank you for what you teach and remind me of! You are good.

I love you!

Anonymous said...

Betsy,
What a wonderful 1st Mother's Day. I'm reminded of the song, "I Hope You Dance," to describe your experience and prayer that all mothers have for their babies.

Boy, like your mom, I remember how really hard it was to leave my baby girl in that tiny dorm room as she began the next phase of her life. Believe me, I'll bet the tears came when your mom made it to the car, just like mine did.

And that is what mother's do, unwavering support, unconditional love, and when it's time - Joy when wings are spread to soar!

Much love,
Tressie

Carolyn said...

Hey you!!!! Checkin' in on the new pics of beautiful girl! I need a Kate fix :)

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6