Monday, April 18, 2011

A True Trooper

Seriously. Carson has been through the ringer today and he was still buzzing around hunched low behind his dump truck 10 minutes before bed time tonight. I love that kid.And today I have new respect for him.

 Today he had his endoscopy done (they stick and scope down his throat and into his stomach to look for abnormalities.) The doctor said that that part of the test looked normal. The doc took tiny little biopsies so that we could narrow down this food allergy thing Carson's got going on. I went a step further with the procedure and I'm glad I did. Although at 6:30 this morning I was seriously considering pulling the nurse to the side and telling her no thanks. The step further involved placing a PH probe through his nose and into the half way point of his throat. It helps to measure acidity levels, and other things that are going on inside of his tummy. The probe is attached to this little computer on the outside that records everything. Pretty cool. But as we went back to see him in recovery I was not thinking about the technology, I was thinking "My poor baby!" I'm pretty sure I said that very phrase out loud! It looked so uncomfortable and to top it all off they had these padded arm things wrapped around both arms so that he couldn't bend his elbows to pull the probe out, much less scratch his poor nose. Think Frakenstein walk. Oh dear! And did I mention that he has to have the probe in until tomorrow morning??? I was a little worried.

Let me just say that my kids have this awesome way of proving me wrong. I love that about them. By lunch time we had those stupid arm pad things off and with one "No touch" he didn't even grab for the probe. He played like normal and after I figured out how to make the little arm straps into a back pack he was off! I've said it before but I think it's worth repeating, we should all take a lesson from our kids in resiliency. They have no knowledge or need for self pity. It's useless to them. Kids do amazing things, and they don't even know it! Tonight I put the arm pads back on him (he's good but I wasn't taking any chances of him pulling it out while he was asleep. We're so close!). He had his arms straight out in front of him making funny hand movements and sounds to go with them. And then as he clasped his hands to pray (arms straight out in front of him!) I knew that my boy was a trooper. So what I got a thing up my nose!!! I'm playing trucks anyway!! So what I can't bend my elbows!!! I can make super cool noises and hand signals!!! You've heard of the phrase "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade?" Well today I saw that in living fast color action. Thank you God!







Tickling Kate!

2 comments:

Stacey at Giggles and Glue Sticks said...

Seriously,
I love him.

Carolyn said...

I had no idea he had this going on too. Wow. What a boy! If his Mommy kept her phone charged I could keep in touch with these important resilient events in my nephews life!! - just kiddin' - happy it is over and that you were full of peace. I love you!

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6