Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Measure of a Mom

I don't ever expect to get any medals for being Mom of the Year. Kate still takes a bottle (only) and won't eat table food. Carson can't get the hang of sleeping through the night. They probably won't learn their ABCs at a remarkably young age either.That's ok. I've learned just recently not to measure my kids to other kids. My kids are special and unique in every sense of the word. I've stopped reading those developmental milestone emails that I signed up for. I was tired of making my kids a check list. You know, at 4 months is putting hands together- check, at 6 months is batting at objects- check, at 15 months is doing the family tax returns-check! I was obsessed with the "milestones."I was elated when my kids would reach them and bummed when they didn't. Then I came to the realization that most Moms do. Who cares? These kids are special and unique in their own God given way. I stopped measuring and started enjoying them.
There is another type of measuring I used to do.It is way more self defeating than measuring my kids. Here it is... I used to measure myself against other Moms. I know you've done it to. We've all thought one Mom has it more together, is more patient with their children, has a cleaner house, better behaved children, and the list goes on and on. Why did I do this? What made me say, "I want to be just like her." Why didn't I say, "I want to be the Mom God wants me to be." I've started saying that very thing over and over to myself and you know what? The comparisons to other Moms just fall away. God has opened my eyes. You know that Mom that you think has it all together? Chances are she was begging God for some sanity this morning when her 2 year old threw her 3rd temper tantrum of the day. And the Mom who is patient with her children? She just lost it when her 4 year old insisted that he wear his cowboy boots for the 5th day in a row. Oh and the Mom who has better behaved children? Yeah, she just came away sweating from a fight to put on her little girls clothes. We are all in the same boat ladies. We're all in this together. I know it and you know it. That's why I love REAL Moms. The Moms who are ok with telling it like it is. And the great thing is that when you are real yourself, you don't judge, you don't think that Mom or child is imperfect. You just know she is doing the best she can with God's help.
I may not have the clean house, patience, or well behaved bits down but boy do I love these kids. I excel at wrapping them in huge hugs. I have mastered covering their faces in kisses. I know what makes Kate laugh and Carson smile. The rest of it will fall in to place if I put it in God's hands . God chose me to be the Mommy to Kate and Carson and although sometimes I still can't believe it, I feel so blessed. I enjoy them for who they are and I am starting to enjoy me for who I am as a Mommy. I must admit it's an endless work in progress.

4 comments:

GriffinSisters said...

WOW, you never fail to amaze me with your words! You said it all and it's the truth, at least in our household it is.I guess it's only natural to envy or to measure up to others. I couldn't agree with you more though, loving our children should be our number one goal!!! Loving them for them AND loving ourself as our children's mother. I know that I love my boys unconditionally but I too find it hard to accept myself, it's a work in progress.
Thank you for your beautiful words and speaking from your heart, you always manage to touch my heart and make me want to be a better Christian, mother, and wife. Thank you Betsy, can't wait to see you four this weekend!

Sending love and prayers,
Shavonne

*Are you golfing with the rest of the bunch on Sunday? Let me know, or I can just find out Saturday!*

Tressie said...

No truer words have ever been said! Here's to REAL MOMS everywhere!

Love,
Tressie

Carolyn said...

Bets,

Thanks for your thoughts and openness. But just wondering why you would have to expose all of my parenting flaws in one or two sentences :) - and then try to cover my identity by referring to girls clothes - nice try!

Being real is not always easy but it sure is freeing...

I think the older I get the more I realize that everything in life requires grace - some stuff more than others...but think about it - marriage, friendships, self discovery, self criticism, parenting, receiving judgement from others, - we need a generous dose of God's grace regularly. And to receive grace and live graciously are inter-related.

Being a work in progress is a whole lot easier to enjoy when you just accept that we are..in fact...a work in progress! Hope you are progressing abundantly today.

I love you.

Randi Freeby said...

Amen!

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6