Saturday, September 20, 2008

Why God?

Yesterday I received a text message. The third of it's kind in the space of 3 months. Yet another friend of mine is experiencing the loss of her baby too soon. A sonogram that revealed no beating heart. All the hope in the world walking into that exam room only to walk out with grief.Why God? All three of these friends had wonderful homes and boundless love to offer these babies. Why God? I have to say that all three of my friends have faced this with the same attitude. God is still in control. He is still the same. My question of "Why God?" perhaps shows my spiritual immaturity but maybe it shows my humanity also. The death of babies and children just doesn't make sense. Who among us does not know someone who has gone through this heart wrenching loss? It is unexplainable. To us, there is no purpose for cutting a young life short. All the promise and innocence gone. Why? I know that is a question that will never be answered.Our preacher painted a beautiful illustration when we discussed heaven. He painted a picture of these babies in heaven perfectly formed. No birth defects, no chromosomal abnormalities. Just perfect beautiful babies. I believe we will get to meet them someday. I really believe that the only thing we can do is not take anything for granted. I never take for granted any sonogram, any chance to see and hear a beating heart. I never take for granted when my Dr. says, "Everything looks great." I never take for granted the times when I go to check on Kate in the middle of the night and put my hand on her back and feel my hand moving up and down.I never take for granted the times when Jared pulls me in close for a hug or tells me he loves me. These are not ordinary things friends. These are not run of the mill everyday occurences. These are special and rare.

1 comments:

GriffinSisters said...

Betsy, your love and compassion, looking through Christian eyes, shows. Amen!
Maw

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6