Sunday, October 19, 2008

Come Again?

So there I am checking my emails before the end of the day on Thursday. A fairly innocuous email comes through from my boss stating that there is a meeting at 10 the next morning. Everyone needs to be there. The training that was planned for Friday morning is cancelled. I thought it was a little odd but we have been having some compliance issues and with the way the market has been I thought nothing of the mandatory meeting. On Friday morning we all gathered in the conference room at 10 and there are 2 people I don't recognize . That was my first clue. I lean over to my coworker and ask her who the guy in the suit is. That's the president of the company. 2nd clue. Ok well who's the lady with the notebook? Oh she's from HR. Oh crap. Anyone who has ever been in business will tell you having the president of your company and the lady from HR at a mandatory meeting is the worst combination. Nothing good can ever come of this combination.My boss started out, "There's no easy way to say this so I'm just going to say it. The bank has decided to shut down the retail mortgage division..." After that I stopped listening. And there it was my 3rd lay off from the mortgage industry in 18 months. Not necessarily a shocker but definitely different from the last two. Needless to say this presents some sticky issues with insurance considering I am 6 months pregnant.I will either be laid off on October 31st or sometime in November. As you can imagine my mind has been racing with the different possibilities. Please pray for our family as I really feel we are at a crossroads. And I feel like there are going to be some big decisions ahead for us. I know that God has us in His hands and I am not worried. He has provided before and He will provide again. As I wrote out our tithing check yesterday it was with little faith, but I have decided that this would be the worst time to stop tithing.God is trying to show me something. I just hope I am aware and smart enough to listen this time. By the way, I HATE the mortgage industry.

3 comments:

GriffinSisters said...

Oh Betsy, I am so sorry. I know that nothing can make this better so just know that we will be praying for you, Jared, and the babies. If there is anything else we can do please let us know.
God Bless,
Shavonne

Kristen said...

Praying for you guys...looks like you've got a handle on it already, just keep being faithful :)

GriffinSisters said...

Hi Kids,
Just now read your blog and I am so sorry about the layoff. Living "life" is about the hardest thing we do, I have decided. I know it is hard to carry on and have faith but what other choice do we have?? The coverage for the baby will happen and God will find the way.From what I hear (and know much much less) the industry with mortgage financing is at the all time worse. Is there any offer of Cobra coverage that you could afford?? I was told that Jared fell and hurt himself, is he okay?? I will be praying for all of you because sometimes it is hard to pray for yourself when things are bad, you don't even know where to start...Love you kids, Maw

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6