Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Kate's Purple Sock

We had a Dr's appointment this morning and we came out with the best case scenario. The Dr. called it a tiny fracture that is miles away from her growth plate. That is very good news. When she showed us the X ray and zoomed in on the break, we could barely see it but it was definitely still there. They put a cast on her leg (we chose a pretty purple) and fitted her with a special boot so that she can walk on it. This was especially good news since I just couldn't picture Kate laying or sitting around for 4 weeks. And that's the other piece of good news. The cast only has to be on her leg for 4 weeks. Then we will come back and take it off and get an X ray to make sure everything has healed properly.
The Dr. said that she probably would not want to try walking on it for a week. But when we got home she was ready to try walking on it while leaning on Carson's walker. Such a brave girl. I was very concerned that her eczema would get worse with the cast on. (Kate has extremely bad eczema, especially on her legs.)But the Dr. said that the moisture that the cast creates makes eczema better sometimes, not worse.
So all in all we are feeling very positive for our girl. She does have some periods of extreme frustration because she can't be as mobile as she would like. And she can't take a proper bath while the cast is on so I know that she will miss that. And the aspect that I am struggling with is discipline. I just want to give her everything and let her do everything because of her leg but I know that in about 4 weeks I would have a little monster girl on my hands so I am TRYING to keep everything status quo in that department. As in "just because you have a broken leg you STILL cannot push Carson around!" I am also trying to decipher what is frustration from her lack of mobility and what is just normal 2 year old behavior. But my goodness, this whole experience has shown me how resilient our little girl is. She is so brave and just doesn't let anything get in her way. And now some purple sock pictures.........
I love this picture because it shows how much she isenjoying life right now despite her little set back. Kids just naturally have amazingly positive attitudes.

Kate with her temporary splint

Our very brave girl

The purple "sock"

Working on getting her mobility back



She definitely needs more down time than usual and Daddy's shoulder is perfect for cuddling.

Taking a Get Well call from her Mimi

Her little table has been put to good use.

Kate has acquired SIX new dresses from her ordeal. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can get by with just wearing dresses. SO easy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So greatful to hear that the outcome is a best case senario! Praise His name....

And I must say, smart choice on the purple sock! Most little girls would have gone for the hot pink BUT the purple will show less dirt (or waffle syrup, or whatever else her and Carson decide to "decorate" it with)!!!

I have a website for YOU!!! It's called familyfun.go.com

It has art projects and crafts for all ages AND recipes!

You are strong and wonderful and the four of you will pull through this just like everything else!
Sending out love and prayers,
Shavonne

casterline said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Kate's leg. I'm glad it will be only for 4 weeks (which sound like eternity to me). And she gets her positive attitude from her Mommy!

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6