Wednesday, December 5, 2007

29 Weeks!!!

Kate News

Well, here we are at 29 weeks!! That means we only have 11 weeks to go. Will this be the longest 11 weeks of my life or will it fly by? Honestly, I feel so blessed to be pregnant. What a wonderful miracle God has created. Kate is more twisting and turning instead of kicking now. She is quickly running out of room in there I can tell. I have found one thing pretty cool already about Kate. She loves the band U2. I play "City of Blinding Lights" for her every morning and she twists and turns and dances a jig. The minute a slow song comes on she stops. I have heard that classical music is the best for babies. My girl is a little different I guess. When Bono belts out "Oh - You - Look- So- Beautiful- Tonight!!!!!" She moves around for all she's worth!!! I love this girl so much already.

Weighty Matters

Wow! I can't believe I have already gained ?? pounds!!! I mean ?? pounds is a lot!! I honestly look at the picture above and can't believe that is me with ?? extra pounds on her. I am starting to figure out that the 300 extra calories thay recommend for a pregnant woman is not wiggle room. As in I can have 300 extra calories and not gain weight. Um no. The weight just packs on anyway. I will have to remember that fact when I breastfeed as they say you need 500 extra calories a day. Look out Mama! My Dr. gave me a sideways glance at my last appointment as I had gained # pounds since my last appointment 4 weeks ago. Suddenly I was pleading my case as if I were in court. "But Dr. Rost, I am really not eating any different and I am exercising at least 3 times a week, sometimes more!!!" And the fact that I did not have my star witness with me (he had a business meeting to attend to) did not help. Jared would have backed me up. Seriously friends, I have not been eating any differently.........hmmmm I wonder if Jared would go with me to get a cherry cream slush at Sonic.........but I digress.

Swimming

I have never looked forward to exercising. But I DO look forward to swimming. It makes me feel completely weightless. A blessing right now. It takes all of the pressure off of my joints. I have been a faithful swimmer every Monday and Wednesday with a elliptical and treadmill work out on Tuesday. Anything I do past those 3 times is just gravy for me. I find that you get one of 2 looks when you work out while visibly pregnant. There is the look that says, "Right on girl. Go for it! That's great that you are working out. Proud of you!" And then there is the look that says, "You know, you really shouldn't be working out in your condition." I will let everyone know if what they say is true about working out during pregnany and bouncing back fast. I am definitely willing to find out if it works.

Kate, Just Kate

I find it pretty funny that people are already nicknaming our daughter. Especially calling her Katie. I love to remind them that her name is Kate, just Kate. I grew up with a nickname challenge my whole life. My name is Elizabeth but my Mom decided to nickname me Betsy. I love the name now but on every first day of school it was a real bummer. The teacher would call out Elizabeth and I would have to say my name is Betsy. I say all of this to say her name is Kate, just Kate. Someone at work asked me what her middle name is and I said Elizabeth and they said (with all seriousness) "Oh that's great , you can call her Katie Beth!!" Okay I apologize to anyone that has a dear someone with this name but to a quintessential Yankee like myself this was like nails on a chalkboard. I felt like I should be looking for Scarlett O'Hara. I mentioned to Jared that maybe we should name her something else and he looked at me straight in the eyes and said "Babe, her name is Kate." Ok , that settles that!

Debbie Downer

Has anyone ever seen that skit on Saturday Night Live with Debbie Downer? For example a group of people will be sitting around a table at a restaurant talking about how great the food is and Debbie Downer pipes in and says something like, "Did you know that 10,000 people die from salmonella each year from eating food at restaurants?" And then this sound effect comes on similar to when someone loses on the Price is Right...WAW WAW!!! Ok you get the picture. I have observed through out pregnancy that people love to play Debbie Downer. Something like this exchange will occur, " Betsy, won't it be great when Kate gets here?" Now Debbie Downer comes in, "Too bad you will never have anymore free time with your husband." WAW WAW!!!! or what about this one , "Betsy, isn't pregnancy just wonderful? Such a miracle!" Here comes Debbie Downer, "Too bad your body will never be the same!" WAW WAW!!!

Alright that is it for now. I just had a couple or 4 issues I needed to talk about! Remember only 11 short weeks to go!!! Let the countdown begin!!!



4 comments:

Kristen said...

Beautiful Mommy! So glad you are enjoying pregnancy. It's one of the sweetest times in life.

angela said...

Betsy, please don't worry so much about your weight gain! I know its hard not to, I actually go through this same thing everytime I'm pregnent myself. You probably aren't eating much differently. I never really did either. Your body processes food differently while you are pregnant. Your digestion actually slows down so that you can absorb more of the food that you eat.

Your baby has probably just gone through a growth sprut as well. With all three of my pregnencies, there was that one time in my second trimester that I would put on xx pounds in 4 weeks! You wonder how it is even possible. Just keep doing what your doing, and by about 9 months after your baby is born, you will feel and look great again! Then, you'll wonder why you cared so much about your weight back when you were pregnant. Trust me, I do this every time. God bless you guys!

GriffinSisters said...

Hey Betsy!
First, let me tell you that you and your belly are just a wonderful sight! I'm not sure if you remember all the weight that I gained with Brock, anyway my dosctor told me that many women handle pregnancy differently and as long as you and the baby are fine NOT TO WORRY!!!. . .I know that it's hard but you'll bounce back.
Also, about the Debbie Downer. . .I learned quickly that many women are like little old men and their "war stories" when they get around a pregnant woman. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, I always wished that I had some clever comment for them but I know that it wouldn't have made me feel much better. Just know that there are women out here who love/d being pregnant and love life with their child/ren in it. God has blessed you and Jared so don't let ANYONE get you down about that, just live and learn. I've tried to be well aware of the things that I say around pregnant women but to be honest I'm not sure that I have anything bad to say about my experience over the past two years of my pregnancy plus Brock's first year!
Keep your head up and remember you are a beautiful women carrying a gift from God.
God Bless,
Shavonne

Carolyn said...

Oh - you expressed it all so nicely! I am in full agreement (I think we talked about this together) about the evil side of women and talking about pregnancy and delivery. Your description of Debbie Downer explains it well.

You look great - you feel good right? That is what matters! I always felt sorry for those women who bragged about the 8 pounds they put on their entire pregnancy. I am sorry. I personally enjoyed putting on 43 with Reece! And I took care of myself too - at times excessively. So - enjoy the true pregnant look! It won't be long till you kinda actually miss having to fall into the sofa!

Love you - let's catch up soon,
Care

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6