Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A New Baby, 32 Weeks, a boy?, Christmas, Rings

First things first! Our friends Ryan and Meredith got an early Christmas present. Blake Adalyn was born on the night of December 23rd. We went to see her on Monday and she is just so beautiful. Meredith had a very good labor which was good to hear. We planned on staying about 20 minutes but we stayed for over an hour because I was just mesmerized by her. I couldn't believe that one of our friends had a baby! It seemed more real to me after seeing Blake that
WE are actually going to have a baby in a very short while!

On Christmas day, I hit 32 weeks!!! Officially 8 months pregnant!! I feel like I am starting to go into uncharted territory. Every little twinge makes me wonder, "What was that?" I am starting to have what I can only think are the much talked about Braxton Hicks contractions. But I really only have them at night. They are not painful but they are a little uncomfortable. Especially since this is my first time and since I am feeling everything for the first time it just makes me a little uneasy. But I just trust my book that says that this is nature's way of getting me ready for the big day.

I think every woman that has been told she is having a girl has a nagging suspicion in the back of their mind. What if "something" was hiding or has been covered up? We have had 3 sonograms so far and all have confirmed Kate is well....Kate. So I press on with my visions of pink. Meredith said she was nervous because they hadn't had a sonogram since 16 weeks. She was very relieved that Blake was well..... Blake. Here's a story that strikes fear in the heart of every woman who has been told she is having a girl. As we were leaving Ryan and Meredith's hospital room we passed by the nursery. There was a handsome little boy in the bed next to the window. His Aunt was there and I admired him and told her how handsome he was and what an awesome head of hair he already had. "Yes," she said "Can you believe they thought he was a girl?" (This is the point where the lovely baby music playing on the record player in my head went SCREECH!!!!!!!!!) "What?!!!?" I said. "Oh yeah," she said "about 4 weeks before he was born my sister decided to get a 3D sonogram to see what she was going to look like and the sonographer nonchantly said, "Oh I see you're having a boy!" It made me think twice about having a 3D sonogram but I decided to hold off. If God wants to bless us with a boy well then I say bring it on! Nothing in life is ever certain. Although it will be certain that my sweet husband will be changing the room from the lovely vision of pink to the golf motif we had envisioned for our boy.

Christmas was very quiet at our house. We celebrated early on the 23rd. It turns out we got each other the same thing. Running shoes!! Can you believe it? I had requested a present that would help me get back into shape after Kate was born. They are wonderful and very comfortable. More importantly they go with a lot of the outfits I wear because they are brown. Jared's were Nike ID. I customized them online. I chose Texas Tech colors and even monogrammed them with our favorite verse on the side Hebrews 13:5. We celebrated our last Christmas as 2 and eagerly anticipate our next Christmas as 3!

Well ladies and gentlemen, the rings are off!! My engagement ring went first and then a month later my wedding ring, which used to be huge on me! This swelling has really taken control of my hands. Every time I look at them I think of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry is dating the woman with "Man Hands." I searched for something that could replace my wedding ring but nothing seemed to do. Jared's was too big for me (surprisingly enough!). So I found a ring my Dad gave me on the day of my wedding. It was my great grandmother's wedding ring. Coincidentally I lost it at my reception because even though I was wearing it on my thumb it fell off. Someone found it for me and I stuck in a drawer. Well now it fits perfectly! So that will be my stand in until I can slip my lovely wedding rings back on my hand. That will happen right?!?!?!?!?

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Yes, you will go right back to wearing your rings, I promise. :)

Isn't Blake beautiful?! Precious sugar, I'm so glad she's here.

The stories do make you nervous but there are certainly MANY more where they were right! We can't wait to meet Kate!

Kristen said...

So glad you are enjoying the ride! When I thought I was having Braxton Hicks it was actually labor! I was very naive :) I don't think I've ever had Braxton Hicks. Anyway...seems so close now! I'll be praying for fast and easy for you!!!

Carolyn said...

Good to read your update. Still looking for a chance to catch up by phone. James and Erin celebrate 9 today so we have their kids for the weekend. I was just thinkin' about you and hoping the blood pressure is staying as it should. Love you and just almost have to giggle with excitement as I think about the upcoming weeks for you. SOOOOO HAPPPYYYYY FOR YOU!!! I love you.

Erica and Cary said...

Well, if Kate's a boy he can still be Kate. You can start a new trend. Cary's a girl's name, but it suits him just fine! ;)

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6