Monday, April 28, 2008

Guilt

As I was getting Kate ready for bed tonight she was especially animated. She has been doing this for the past few days now. As I put her on her changing table after her bath she will start moving her arms and kicking her legs like she is very excited about something. She has even added sounds to this moving and kicking.She is a lot more vocal at night than she is during the day. It is known around our house as The Kate Show. Price of admission is one good bath and a diaper change. As Jared and I were watching this show with our hands resting under our chins it dawned on me that I will be going back to work a week from today. This tremendous wave of guilt hit me. Not that I haven't already experienced this guilt. I experienced the guilt that comes from being a new mother. I was especially hard on myself in the early days (as my sweet patient husband can attest to.) I think any working Mom who is really telling the truth would tell you that they really do not want to work. Some may be thinking, "If you don't want to work, then don't." But it's not that easy is it? I will admit that the reasons I am going to work stretch beyond financial concerns. I miss the feeling of productivity in a work place, interacting and making decisions with people.I used to think it made me less of a Mom to admit that fact even if it was only to myself. That's the kind of guilt I've been dealing with. But I have come to realize that this kind of guilt can cripple you if you let it. I almost let it steal the joy and wonderment of those first few weeks with Kate. Who am I kidding? On some days it actually did. But I can't let it do that this time. As a working Mom I will be working with quality time not quantity time. I have to make every millisecond count. I think I should have called this post "Doing the Best I Can." That's what I feel like I'm doing everyday. I wish I could wrap up this post in a neat little package but I can't. I think both working and stay at home Moms just need to pray for each other. And by the way I am a great Mom. I write this not to brag (believe me I am humbled everyday) but I write it to actually see it on the screen. Funny I know, please let me explain. When Kate was born and up until a few weeks ago I had zero confidence in the motherhood department. I prayed for God to give me confidence as a Mom and as always he answered my prayer. I do have confidence now. That's MY girl. This is how you comfort her. No she's not hungry, just fussy. It's ok for her to cry a little. Talk about on the job training! But I am slowly getting it friends. Thank you to everyone who said a prayer on my behalf. In hindsight I know those prayers lifted me up. As I said in a previous post I am constantly relying on God to guide me as a Mom. He reminds me every single day that I can't do this on my own. I find myself wanting to say more and more to Him , "I trust you." What a gift.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Praise God for your honesty, for your humility, for your desire for God to guide and fill and grow you. I love how well you explained the "process" you have been through. All of this important life stuff doesn't always come easy - there are lots of very personal and inward things God draws out of us as we learn to trust Him.

So glad to see that your confidence has grown. You are a great Mom - sometimes I think we try to measure that statement in ways that are self-defeating...almost like we set our selves up for failure because we are more comfortable with self-criticism, comparing ourselves to everyone else, etc.. But I am thankful this morning that God is carrying you to a place where you can be proud of who you are - where you measure yourself more on how HE defines you and how Kate sees you (as the perfect, gentle, loving provider) more than on how you might see yourself.

I love you and believe fully you are doing GREAT!

It is early here, the sun is beginning to rise and the birds are singing. I know this day has much in store - thank you for setting me on the right track today. I feel ready to experience the fullness of my home with gratitude and patience, sweet smiles from my boys and fun times.

Wow, I am seeing I just wrote a book not a comment! Oops :)

Have a great day - hug my little niece for me!

Anonymous said...

"Doing the best you can do" is all that you can do and it WILL be enough....You are a great mom!! I know it is hard not to feel guilty, I have been there, but your babies know when you love them and eventually they know all the love and sacrifies that you made because of them...As you have said, Trust God, and everything will work out...
love ya'll,
kittie

Anonymous said...

Motherhood- definition: Imperfection and, yes I agree; on the job training. This never changes as your babies grow to adulthood. I totally get what you're saying about the guilt! I love my children and want to spend every millisecond with them. I also know that economics plays a huge role in the decision process to work or not to work. Regardless of the choice mothers and fathers make to work or not, it boils down to the fact that EVERYONE OF US FEELS GUILT. Working parents feel it and want to stay at home. Stay-at-home parents worry that their children won't be experiencing socialization and won't have all the financial support they could provide if they worked.

So why do parents through the decades do this to ourselves? I think it's because we always want to make our children's world and lives perfect. All we can see is the imperfection. We need to remember that, in God's eyes, it is perfect! We can't imagine the depth of His love, but He allows us just a glimmer through the gift of loving someone almost as much as he loves us! I try to remember that every minute of every day is perfect in God's love. Am I going to make mistake? Sure, both big and small- but if these experiences help me to understand the depth of love it is definitely worth the trip! Wouldn't you agree?

Love,
Tress

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6