Sunday, April 13, 2008

Revelation 21:4

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

This morning I went to pick Kate up at the end of her nap. She had been awake for a few minutes and had been crying. I kissed her little eye and there it was, her first tear, to my knowledge.

It got me thinking about all of the tears I have cried over my lifetime. Tears I have cried when my Mom left me on the first day of kindergarten, tears when my brothers would tease me, tears from embarrassment,tears over that stupid boy who decided he would break my heart, tears over leaving for college, and recently, tears over a father in law that passed away too soon. Jared received a sympathy card from every one at his work this week. In the card one lady had written the verse Revelation 21:4. We looked it up in the Bible and it gave us great comfort. It should give us all great comfort. Isn't that what this life's journey is about? The end goal, finally getting to heaven where there are no more tears or worries. Our final place of rest. It feels great to know that my grandparents are up there and they don't have to feel the pain of heart attacks, cancer, or Alzheimers. Jared's Dad feels no pain and is completely at peace. God makes everything perfect there. Our preacher Rick Atchley did a series on heaven a couple of years ago. I just remember him saying that heaven is not what most people envision, us as angels floating on a cloud playing a harp. We will have jobs in heaven, we will know people that we loved here on earth. This past week Jared has done a lot of things with friends that he used to do with his Dad, Rangers games, golf games, hitting golf balls at the driving range. I know he misses the time he used to spend with him. Jared likes to think (and is probably right) that Mike is up there playing endless rounds of golf. Jared likes to think that his Dad doesn't have any slices or hooks or hits into the water. That's Jared's idea of heaven. What's yours?

I personally think this world makes us cry too much. Too many tears are shed by wonderful people. I can't wait for heaven where tears aren't possible. Where hurts and worries are not allowed. Until then I'll keep verses like these close to my heart as a reminder that there is a heaven and that God longs for us, his children, to be there someday.

2 comments:

GriffinSisters said...

Betsy~
Thank you for this! I'm sure, if you are like me, you blog to just clear your head but many times I get on to get updated on the three of you and end up being inspired by you. Inspired by your words, actions, and love. You are such an amazing friend, wife, and motther, and a blessing in my life! I really do love you and I wish nothing but the best for you three as you go through this troubling time.
God Bless,
Shavonne

GriffinSisters said...

Betsy
We can always find such comfort in the Bible. There are all the promises that God gave us if we only read and believe them. Our hearts still ache and we need our time to grieve. So many thoughts run thru my mind and it is hard to stay on task with work and etc. I was not able to check out your site for your and Jared's Anniv because I do not know how to "copy and paste" but I'm sure it is wonderful. Love, Maw

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6