Sunday, April 20, 2008

Prayers for a Little One

On Friday our friends Jason and Erin had an emergency C section to deliver their first son. His name is Brendan Jacob. He is 30 weeks old and weighs 2 lbs 5 oz. Jared, Kate and I went to see them in the hospital this afternoon. I even got to visit him in the NICU. He is amazing! He is breathing on his own! At 30 weeks! The doctors say that other than the fact he is really small he is doing wonderful. He is so incredibly tiny and precious. Every once in a while he would open up his eyes and look our way. He is a strong one. I got to hold his little hand and touch his little head. I had never been in a NICU before. When I walked in I could tell it was a special place. It seemed like there was a nurse sitting beside each baby. My friend Jason said that he scrubbed in (you have to scrub your hands and arms up to your elbows for 3 minutes before you go in) with a Mom of a baby that was born at 23 weeks. She said that they would be taking their baby home next week. What a miracle! All of the books say that the age of viability is 24 weeks. God is working miracles with these little ones that have to be born too soon. When I walked out of the NICU I hugged Kate tight and thanked God that she was born a healthy full term girl. I always think of that phrase "But for the grace of God go I." It could have easily been Jared and I standing by that isolette praying for our tiny little baby. Would you please pray for this family? Please pray that Brendan continues to gain weight and get stronger. Please pray that he will continue to breathe on his own. Please pray that he will keep his feedings down. He is currently having a hard time keeping his milk down. Please pray for Jason and Erin as they leave the hospital on Tuesday with out Brendan. Please pray for the nurses and doctors that work with these miracle babies. Thank you friends!

0 comments:

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6