Saturday, July 25, 2009

Breaking the 30 Mile Barrier

Tonight I have run exactly 31 miles since I started my running program. I broke the 30 mile barrier with a good 3 mile run. That's just about half the distance I will run in just a little under 2 months. I can feel my body getting stronger with every step. Tonight was a true milestone because until now I had only been running about 2.25 miles. Tonight I pushed my body even further to run that extra 3/4 miles. It felt great and I felt accomplished. Tonight was difficult as I really focused on keeping my breathing steady and my running form not so hunched over (I tend to do that.)Two life lessons I learned from running tonight. For every uphill where you're really slugging it out making every step seem like eternity there is a downhill where you can breathe a little easier and it seems like your steps are lighter. Now granted, there may be be several uphills before you get to a downhill, but you'll get there eventually. The second lesson I learned goes back to last Saturday when instead of turning down the second to last street I thought I would mix it up and turn down the last street. I was half way down the street when I saw three dogs rushing toward me. They were barking up a storm. Now I don't know about you, but when I'm running down a relatively dark street and I see three dogs coming for me there is a fairly good amount of fear in me. And I love dogs. I had to start walking so that I could judge my situation. Upon closer inspection I realized that they were just 3 over zealous yellow labs. Nothing to worry about. As I picked up my pace I realized that life is kind of like that. Sometimes the situations you think are big deals and come at you head on fiercely are really just perfectly normal non dramatic happenings. Ok that's it for my nuggets of running wisdom. And to show that this post is not all about me I will post some pics of the dynamic duo.




1 comments:

Randi Freeby said...

So proud of you!!! Keep up the hard work Oh, and how did you do that cute heading for your blog? So cute.

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6