Monday, July 27, 2009

Just Try

I just got back from a 2 mile run. No running life lessons tonight other than the obvious: you should not run after eating mexican food at Rosa's. It does not do good things for your tummy. But that lesson should be fairly obvious.
So lately I have been trying some things. Trying new things is not really my forte. I like to stay in a comfort zone. Same ole same ole is usually my mantra. But lately I have wanted to start trying new things. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and am caring less and less about looking foolish and more and more about experiencing life. Have you ever seen something and think, "I wonder if I could do that?" Well that's what I have done lately. I'll start with the least daring and finish up with the most daring (in my opinion of course.)

#1 I made a cake. Not just any cake. A cake made with fondant icing. Fondant icing is that smooth looking layer that you see mostly on wedding cakes. Well I saw one in a book and followed the recipe and roughly 3 hours later this is what I came up with. Not spectacular, but not bad for a first try.I call it the Monet Cake. Looks good from far away, but it's a mess up close. I had so much fun I will definitely try it again.


#2 I tried out for a gameshow. I just had to. I have always wondered what it would be like. This is the gameshow that I tried out for.

I went to an open call. There were a lot of people. That's when I realized that a lot of other people just like me had watched this show and thought, "Hey! I could do that!" Basically they herd you into a group and make you wait for about an hour. I chatted with the girl next to me who thought it might be fun to try out. She was just killing time anyway. She started her new job at Hollister on Monday. Nice girl, got engaged in Paris at the Eiffel Tower, went to Seattle on her honeymoon. Just as I was about to ask her when they were going to have a baby (just kidding, I never ask a newly married not to mention newly met person that question) they herded us into the room to take the test. That's when I realized there were ALL kinds of people there to try for the chance to be on the show. Everyone from dressed up professionals to the woman who was wearing a bright pink T-shirt with the phrase "I heart my boobs." Yes all of of God's children were there. When they got us all situated we took the test. 40 questions, 10 minutes. It was hard. It was all over the place.Every subject you can think of. "Where is Osama Bin Laden's oldest son from?" "Who bought out Bear Stearns?" "What did Michael Jackson call wine in his molestation trial?" "Where did the sport of free running originate?" See what I mean? All over the place. I was guessing up a storm. Needless to say mine was not one of the numbers called at the end but I felt ok because I felt the test was hard. I did have to laugh because one of the questions was "Which company launched the brand name Hollister?" Of course Eiffel Tower knew it was Abercrombie and Fitch. I picked American Eagle. I will definitely do this again, but be better prepared next time.

#3 I asked my boss to work from home. This would be a perfect set up for me. I would get a "raise" from not paying daycare and best of all I would get to see my babies! I tried to convince him that this would be beneficial to him also. I could work outside regular hours in addition to business hours. I have to say he didn't seem too enthused but he said he would think about it. He still hasn't given me an answer so I have hope. I had to try.......

Here's my point. If you ever wonder if you can do something just TRY! I want to show my kids that they can do anything and TRY anything they want. And although they will fail at some of their attempts (see #1, #2 and probably #3) they can always be proud of themselves if they try and give it their best effort. And good grief, you will probably have some fun along the way. I know I did.:)

2 comments:

GriffinSisters said...

WOW, way to go! It sounds like you are enjoying your "new attempts" and for the record, I would totally take a bite of that cake. I will be praying for your last attempt (work). I think it sounds wonderful and of course it makes sense to me!!!
Hope the four of you are doing well, Brice starts daycare next week so please pray for me. I'm having horrible anxiety about letting him go but I don't think I could teacher 2nd grade science from home so that's out of the question!

love and prayers,
Shavonne

Carolyn said...

Love your post - way to go on trying new things. Your cake looks really great! Wish you coulda won the million dollar shot...and I hope, hope, hope your boss surprises you with a "yes"! That would be so great. Will pray towards that.

Well, we are packing up to be on the road again. We are still holding it together for the most part. Have had a great time with my family. SO thankful to have my man back with me - he had a BLAST! And little Hudson is growing quite large (well, at least my tummy is!) and I am beginning to search for comfortable positions at night. Pierce is talkign up a storm, the boys growing inches in days - so it seems.

There's the quick rundown - we are happy and healthy. Just stole a moment on this dial up modum to check up on you guys. Love you lots, will try to call when we get to the USA.

Love you, Care

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6