Saturday, July 18, 2009

Night Running and Josh

I have had to revise my running plan (as I knew I would have to.)Flexibility is going to be key here if I want to stick to my plan. Jared has been closing mortgage loans after hours to earn us some extra money so I have not been able to run after work. I had to switch my plan to running after the kids go to bed. When the sun goes down it cools off to a frigid 98 degrees. I really can't believe that it can still be 98 degrees with no sun out but that's Texas for you!When Jared gets home and the kids are all tucked in bed I put on my running gear and run in our neighborhood. It's perfect when you think about it. I don't have to miss any valuable night time with Kate and Carson and I get the experience of running outside which I love. Much better than a tread mill. Our neighborhood is a little bit raw in some parts so I get to enjoy nature also. I have seen little frogs, birds, and lizards. Although I think if I were to see a snake (like the one that decided to camp out in our driveway a couple of years ago) my love of nature would take a dive. And when the sky is a little clear I can even enjoy some stars. The other night God was putting ona lightening show in the distance. It has been surprisingly easy to stick to and I have made all 3 of my schedule runs for the week. Something about being able to just step outside of your door makes it an easy solution. So I am up to 2.25 miles for each run. The .25 is thanks to a wrong turn I made the other night. I feel my endurance building and that is very encouraging.
Did you happen to catch the homerun derby the other night? Josh Hamilton was injured so he did not participate this year. Although they were eager to interview him because of the show he put on last year (28 homeruns in a single round). The lady who interviewed him asked him what was the best thing about hitting 28 homeruns last year? He said that the best thing was that it gave him the opportunity to share Jesus Christ with others. The lady who was interviewing him tried to press him for something more dazzling but he stuck to saying that it was all about Jesus. What a true example of someone who is using his talent and fame for spreading the gospel. I just wish there were more athletes like him. Sadly he is an exception.

1 comments:

Tress said...

You inspire me Bets! It's crazy that night-time can't be complemented by cooling winds, huh? Well we can hope for that in September?

Love,
Tress

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6