Monday, May 3, 2010

Sewing Ain't For Sissies

I really love sewing. I really feel like at times I am addicted to it. It makes me calm and gives me a focus. But I had no idea how difficult it is. I had no idea how many times I would fail at making something. Many times I have had to realize that it was the journey and not the destination that I had to be content with. I have messed up on so many "creations." But I have also been inspired and while I have not made many things that I would let Kate go out in public in, I sure have had fun a long the way. It is a learning process. This is how you learn to sew ( I believe): by making mistakes. Many of them. And so I give you some of my flops. Oh it's a sharp learning curve. And I have learned that if someone stops me and is admiring Kate's shirt and says, "Oh Betsy that is precious, did you make that?" that is NOT a compliment. My goal is to make something one day that does not scream out, "Hand made!!!!!!"


Oh how I loved this dress! I spent one week on it carefully following the sewing directions. It was made out of one of Jared's dress shirts. And of course when I tried it on Kate it was way too tight through the chest. I am going to go back and see where I went wrong on the pattern and take another stab at it.

This was my sewing love last week. I cut the bottom off of a 6 month onesie of Carson's and attached a skirt with ruffles. The problem was that when I tried it on Kate it became a flapper style mini dress that barely covered her bum. I did however love making the little diaper cover out of the bottom of the onsie. This one is not lost. I am going to rip the skirt off and do a bigger gathered skirt. We'll see about the ruffles.



Ok, I actually let Kate go to school in this dress this morning. It is a 18 month onesie with a gathered skirt attached. I loved this onesie and I couldn't part with it so reconfigured it as a dress.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Your post made me laugh! You are just a funny girl. I think its awesome that you love doing this - go girl! And I have confidence that by the time Kate cares about what she wears outside of the house you will already be a pro!! keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Super cute!!! I admire you for having the courage and making the time to sew! I enjoy seeing all your creations and I hope you continue to have a passion for it! Love to the four of you <3

Shavonne

MJT said...

The Strawberry dress is super adorable! Watch out Vera Wang there is a new designer coming out of TX!

Anonymous said...

Betsy!
I think this is my first "official comment" on your blog - but I wanted to tell you that I love it and I LOVE reading about your adventures in sewing. My Mom gave me a really nice sewing machine a year ago and I am SLOWLY gearing up the courage to take it out of its case! So I love watching you tackle everything first! Thanks for the inspiration!

P.S. I think it's time for another DC visit, isn't it?? :-)

Love you - Jenn Gray

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6