Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Week in Review- Creatively Speaking

So once again I used sewing as my outlet this week with my man at work in some far away west Texas town. Everyday I pray that there will be a rig open in DFW so that he can come home every night. Kate has started to really notice that he is gone. "Where Daddy?" is a constant question around here. "He's at work." I say. Not 5 minutes later, "Where Daddy?" Oh, sweet girl! And she's not the only one. Jared misses us terribly when he's gone. I try to fill him in through text message and our broken conversations due to the poor cell phone reception but of course it's not the same and it really tears at his Daddy heart.

Alright on to the projects. For awhile now I have been wanting to make a quilt and possessing no real quilt making skills I have been searching for an easy beginners quilt. I found it here with THIS tutorial.  If you can sew a straight line you can make this quilt. This quilt was not hard skill wise but it was labor intensive. I can't even imagine how labor intensive an authentic quilt is. This project only reinforced what I already knew. If you are ever blessed enough to have someone make a quilt for you just know this: they love you VERY much because it is quite the ordeal.


I have been wanting a camera strap cover for my camera because basically I am attached to it so why not make it pretty? So the other day, I played around with some fabric and a ribbon. Here was my result. I will keep tinkering with it, but I got the basic idea of what I was trying to achieve.
Oh I love this last project the best because it was easy, simple and cost me nothing! I used THIS tutorial to create the cutest little bandana skirts for Kate. Jared used to wear these bandanas  to work (don't worry! they were thouroughly washed) and he stashed them in the drawer. So I comandeered them when I came across this tutorial. Nothing is safe in our house from making into an item of clothing. :) Bandanas for the top part of the skirt and scrap fabric for the hem. It took me 30 minutes to make these skirts woohoo! Fast, free and fun!

1 comments:

Courtney said...

Love that! And I have a bunch of those somewhere...hmm.

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6