Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Christian Music

Until recently I have had this strange "relationship" with Christian music. I am not talking about the old hymns in song books, but the Christian music that is popular on the radio and sung in our church. I can't tell you the popular Christian groups right now and my radio in the car is not tuned to a Christian radio music station.I always associated Christian music with cheesy analogies and over the top instrumentals. In short, I just didn't care for it! I did go through a love of very specific Christian music when I was in junior high and high school. It always seemed to coincide with summer camp. You know the scene. You've just spent 3 weeks with people that you are convinced will change your life forever. You can't even imagine going back to your ordinary life with your ordinary friends at your ordinary school. As your parents come to pick you up someone cranks up Michael W. Smith's "And a friend's a friend forever! If the Lord's the Lord of them. And a friend will not say never, cause the welcome will not end.Though it's hard to let you go......." I loved that song and still do. But I think I loved it more because of the emotion it brought about in my immature teenage mind. That has been the extent of my relationship with Christian music until now.

Lately, God has allowed me to really listen to this music. Really hear the words to the song and apply them to my life. Four songs have become especially dear to me and they all center around one theme, praising God in whatever circumstance I am in. The first song is not a new song. It is a song that I have been hearing my whole life. It is Well with My Soul has been sung by me and heard by me for 33 years but I never listened or really understood the words. Maybe knowing the story behind the song will better explain. It was written by a man named Horatio Spafford. I pulled the background of this song off of Wikipedia...

This hymn was written after several traumatic events in Spafford’s life. The first was the death of his only son in 1871, shortly followed by the great Chicago Fire which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer). Then in 1873, he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the S.S. Ville Du Havre, but sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with another ship, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone." Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.

"When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul."

This man had been through everything except losing his wife. When you look at the words it is such a powerful testimony to his faith in God and his knowledge that God is still sitting on his throne.

The next two songs I have talked about before in previous blogs and you can listen to them on my song list to the right, "Blessed Be Your Name"and "You Never Let Go." Both of these songs speak to praising God in the ups and downs of life. The 4th song I believe is called, You are God Alone. We sang in at church last Saturday night and although I know I have heard it many times before, this time I really listened to the words.

"And right now through the good times and bad
You are on your throne, You are God alone."

I thank God so much that he let me get past my little hang ups with Christian music and really let it minister to me. All day I have these songs running through my head. It helps me focus. It brings me more peace than I have had in a long time.

Please leave a comment and let me know. What is your favorite Christian song and why?

4 comments:

GriffinSisters said...

Betsy,
Thanks so much for putting All is Well on your site. I love it. That means so much to Mom.

Wow, I cried with joy when I saw Kate roll over. She is so precious and am loving everyday watching her learn new things.

Jared, thanks so much for all you are doing to make this weekend for Dad so special. Love ya', Bro!!

Love ya'll, Blair, Jay and Bailey

P.S. Thanks for the pic of Bailey with Kate.

GriffinSisters said...

L b nbh6"{
b1538c211420080251546548 5+ ------- -602 - ,m . ,3/*..*+ //mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll9++769999999lkm

(In case you need a translator :) Brock said, "Hi Kate!!! Good job on rolling over, that's a tough one! I hope to see you soon so I can rub your head and say 'Oooohhhhh beebee!'
Love,
The Brockster)

GriffinSisters said...

Betsy,
Thank you so much for the information on "It Is Well"...It too is one of my favorites and now knowing the story behind it makes it even more awesome...There are just so many Christian songs that I love for alot of different reasons. Last month at church I sang the new version of Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)...and I really do identify with the words personally..."My chains are gone. I've been set free. My God, my Savior has ransomed me and like a flood His mercy reigns. Unending love. Amazing Grace.." I just love that because God has set me free from myself...It still seems impossible to me that I can be worthy, but to Him I am...
Love ya'll....

angela said...

Oh how Christian music has changed over the last 10 years! You can still find the cheesy stuff, but there is a lot more good stuff now! Praise and worship music really does something to my soul unlike any other kind of music. I can't really explain it, but I listen to it so much now, that when I'm listening to something else I feel like I'm straying from my first love.

My favorite old hymn is "Great is Thy Faithfulness"! It was sung at our wedding and really describes my walk with the Lord. There is a current version out that I found on iTunes by, I think, Lincoln Brewster. I LOVE this latest version. So beautiful!

You really should start trying to find some Christian music that you enjoy (I coverted Jason early on in our relationship). There is so much great stuff out there now. Go to iTunes and just start looking around. Jeremy Camp, Lincoln Brewster, David Crowder Band, Hillsong, and Chris Tomlin are all great places to start.

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6