Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Come to Jesus

Marriage is not for the faint of heart. It is not alway romantic and it is not always the loving warm picture that is depicted in the movies. Sometimes marriage is about sticking by the one you love when every one else has left you behind. Believing in someone when everyone else has moved on. Marriage teaches you a lot about love. Not fairy tale love. True deep and abiding love. The love that sees you through rocky times. The love that disciplines you. The love that gives you hope that in the end everything is going to turn out fine. As Jared and I celebrate 7 year of marriage I have reflected on how amazing our marriage has been. But it has not been easy. We have encountered our fair share of trials. But what has amazed me is how God constantly leads us to be close to Him. It has become very apparent to us that God wants to be front and center in our marriage. He wants us to cling to Him. When I first got married I thought that my role as a wife was to cling to my husband. I pictured us walking through the hard times with us clinging tightly to each other. Weathering the storm. Walking through the wind with our heads down. And while clinging to each other through difficult times has brought us close together, I had it wrong. God wanted me to cling to Him. My husband is an amazing man but to rest all of my hopes, fears, and dreams at his door was overwhelming to say the least. That is what my heavenly Father is for. I am trying to understand that concept. He is teaching me with love and patience like He always does.
Our song this last year is not romantic in the worldly sense. It is called, "Come to Jesus." It is a song about hope. It is a song about coming to Jesus in all situations. To me, it is a song about marriage. It describes our walk with God together. The chorus walks through the stages of our journey together.
Come to Jesus
Sing to Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Cry to Jesus
Dance for Jesus
Fly to Jesus
I first heard this song at my Dad's house. I loved the words. I thought about how much this song described so perfectly how I wanted my relationship with God and Jesus to be. I had put it on a CD so that I could listen to it in the car. One day Jared and I were driving somewhere in the truck and he said, "Here, I want you to listen to my new favorite song." When I heard "Come to Jesus" fill the truck I knew that God was calling us both to Him. I believe that sharing this song is a perfect way to celebrate our 7 years together.This little video I put together shows the only present that Jared and I gave each other this year. We were finally able to go back to the church where we got married to take some pictures. Being there 7 years later brought back so many memories. My feelings and emotions from that day came rushing back. I walked down the aisle just like I did 7 years ago and the same feeling came back to me. I remember that day that I didn't care about the decorations and the pomp and circumstance. I just wanted to marry Jared. Typing those words just now has made me cry with joy. The tears are flowing as I type. The love that I have for Jared has grown so much since that day and our love together has given me such joy. I feel SO blessed to be his wife. And I feel so blessed that God has been leading us through this journey the whole time.My hope for our marriage is this, Jared and I together closely hand in hand with our arms wrapped tightly around our Saviour

1 comments:

Courtney said...

Beautiful. Love you guys!

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6