Wednesday, February 11, 2009

God Provides

Two weeks before Carson was born Jared texted me from work. It was a Thursday morning. The text read, "Just got laid off. They are letting me finish out the day." Gulp! This really came out of nowhere. I felt so bad for him because he had finally found a job that really suited him and suited our family. But just like many things in life, just when you think you are going down a known path...BAM! you have to change direction.Just like so many Americans who probably received the same news we were suddenly with out that next pay check. Did we panic? Well, sort of. It's funny that God chose to bless us with great careers and well paying jobs early on in our marriage when we didn't have kids. And when we have two kids? Well, that's when he chooses for us to both experience lay offs. Hmmmmm..... Most people I told about Jared's job loss repeated the often used phrase, "God will provide." Which is so true and believe me I know and believe that, but can I just say that that phrase is like a hot poker in the eye when you are trying to run down your finances and you realize that maybe you don't have as much in savings as you thought? As my friend Gracie said,"I know it's easy for me to say God will provide because my husband and I both have jobs." Exactly. My brother and I talked that afternoon and we both agreed that you can believe that God will eventually provide but also at the same time it makes you no less of a christian to say, "This really stinks right now!" But I did believe in God's provision. And once we picked ourselves up my prayer over and over again these last 3 weeks has been ,"Please God open a door of opportunity." No flowery long drawn out prayer just that simple prayer over and over. Well, today he did. Jared accepted a position with a company close to our home and will start on February 23rd. I say that "today he did" but looking back on the last month I realized He was already taking care of us. He was already providing for us. He allowed us to experience the birth of our beautiful son with out worry and fear of the future. He kept Jared's spirits up even when no job prospects were in sight.He cared for us in every way that we needed to be cared for.And we felt a calmness and peace that by the world's standards we should not have felt. I realized that that calmness and peace can only come when you are under the protection of our loving God. I go back to the song that I put on my blog a few weeks ago. "And right now through the good times and bad you are on your throne, you are God alone." No matter what, He is in control.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

So glad to hear that. Thanks for letting us know. How is the little fam? Missing you. Might try to catch you today. Love, Care

casterline said...

love you! I love reading your blog and hearing how you trust in God! I'm glad to hear Jared got a job. Hang in there!

GriffinSisters said...

HEY GUYS,
WHAT WONDERFUL NEWS AND WHAT WONDERFUL FAITH YOU TWO HAVE. IT HAD TO BE VERY VERY HARD. YOU DID NOT SAY WHAT THE JOB WAS BUT, HEY A JOB IS A JOB IN TODAYS WORLD. I AM SO GLAD THAT JARED GOT TO BE AVAILABLE TO YOU AND KATE AND CARSON WHEN HE NEEDED TO BE. GOD IS GOOD!! LOVE YA'LL, MAW

GriffinSisters said...

Wow, Amen!
Congratulations, if anyone really understands James and I do. It was just a few months ago when the two of us were searching and wondering, but yet knowing that our loving God would lead us where we needed to be. You couldn't have said it better when you made the analogy of the "hot fire poker in the eye" and nearly being annoyed when someone would inform you that God would see you through.
Hope the four of you are doing well, can't wait to see more pictures of Carson-I bet he's already changing so much.
Sending love and prayers,
Shavonne

GriffinSisters said...

God does provide....You, Jared, Kate and Carson mean the world to me....Love, Blair

Anonymous said...

Sorry haven't blogged in a while; new company blocks viewing sites & blogs... kinda overkill in my view?

CONGRATULATIONS on the new job Jared! I know you will kick it! Boy, I get what you're saying about others saying "God will provide." It was weird for me too, I could say it and believe it but when others said it to me, I would hear my mind's voice immediately snap, "And how long have you been without a paycheck?" or "Tell that to the light company!"

I think that the best news about all this is that we must remember to live our lives in a state of thankfulness. It's been proven to me over and over that "Yes, God leads and provides" and I've also learned that sometimes he has to lead us kicking and screaming! LOL!

While I'm not sure exactly yet what reason we've been led in these directions, I do know that it will be what fulfills us the most. So thank you God for leading and being our blocker on life's line.

Love,
Auntie Tress

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6