Thursday, March 5, 2009

Afternoon Confession

I have a confession to make. I am a terrible housekeeper. I have apathy for keeping a clean house. For those who have been to my house and found it in order, well, that was only because YOU were coming over. Our family room is in disarray right now. Well disarray is a kind word it's an unholy MESS! Jared is coming home in 2 hours and I'm pretty sure it will still be a mess.Sorry sweetie. I know this kills him but he says he understands because he had a stint as a stay at home Dad. The reason for the unorganized chaos is mainly because Carson is not on a schedule.What? at 5 weeks still no schedule? Yep that's right! Carson wants to be held right now and right now I am easy to oblige.
When I had Kate I would rock her in her pink rocking chair often.My mind would run through all of the things I could be and should be doing. Almost everytime the lines from this old poem came to my mind. It was on a plaque in our house growing up but these are the only lines I can remember:

"So quiet down cobwebs
And dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby
And babies don't keep."

I recently found the poem in its entirety and I love it even more. So the next time you think bout what you SHOULD be doing (especially around the house) just think about this poem.Enjoy this poem and let the words sink in.By the way that mess in the living room will have to wait. I'm off to rock my sweet Carson.......:)

Song for a Fifth Child. (by Ruth Hulbert Hamilton, 1958)

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

1 comments:

Carolyn said...

Love the poem. I had never read it in its entirety and just may cut and paste it onto my very own blog :) I confess the same thing about housekeeping...and almost always think playing with my boys is much more fun and a lot longer lasting! :)

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6