Thursday, March 5, 2009

If You Ever Wonder

One of the best pieces of advice about parenting I received through a Hollywood movie of all things. The character said, "The best thing you can do for your kids is just love each other.Let them marinate in that love and when they grow up they'll be really nice and juicy." I think it is SO important for kids to know that their parents love each other. I think that kids rest in that love and find security in that love. I think when we hug each other or kiss each other in front of Kate and Carson we are laying the foundation for them to feel safe.

My parents are divorced now but I can remember a time when they didn't have conflict and they really did love each other. As I kid I remember feeling so safe in that love. When my parents divorced I was in my late 20s. I remember going home to their house and watching a home movie from a Christmas when we were all young. My parents shared a moment on camera that was candid but showed real love. I remember crying because I had proof that something that was not there presently had existed at one time.

I never want Kate and Carson to wonder if I love their Dad. That is such a terrible feeling to wonder. I know that Kate and Carson will find out one day sooner than later that we are not perfect people. We will fail them. We will fail each other. They might even see us fail each other. But I always want them to know that they are safe in the love that we have for each other.

I also think it's important for kids to hear their Moms or Dads brag on each other. Most of you who read this blog know that I have no shame in telling you how wonderful I think Jared is. I think it's so vital to a kid's upbringing for them to know that their Mom or Dad thinks the world of each other. Truthfully this post is for my kids but I want to post it here so that when they look at this blog one day as I hope they will they will know that their Mom loves their Dad with all of her heart. But if I'm doing my job right they won't ever have to wonder.

3 comments:

Sweets said...

Bravo! Your words and actions toward each other say it all! Love your children with all your heart, but love each other even more! That will bless them all their days! Wow! Love this post!

Randi Freeby said...

well said

Kristen said...

My parents are in the middle of divorce right now. If you have any words of advice I sure would appreciate it...

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6