Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Power of a Middle Name

Never in all of my life did I think I would pull out the middle name approach to discipline. But I find myself doing it over and over. Right in this small window of time(which I know is rapidly closing) I can use a good stern "Kate Elizabeth!" to make my daughter sit up and take notice. This use of her middle name and maybe the tone of my voice makes her immediately look at me and stop what she's doing. Oh I am enjoying this brief "power" over her as I know that this will soon not be enough.The other night while I was giving Kate and Carson a bath I even pulled out "the look." Every parent knows that sideways look that says, "Don't even think about it!" As Kate raised a stacking cup to hit her brother over the head I pulled out "the look". And it worked.No words, just "the look". I thought to myself, "Good grief! I really am a Mom!"

0 comments:

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6