Sunday, October 18, 2009

Race for the Cure

Yesterday was awesome. It was estimated that there were around 30,000 participants. It was incredible as we counted down to to the start of the race in unison. I realized the number of people that were in the race when it took me about 5 minutes to get the start of the line. Reading the "in memory" and "in celebration" signs that racers wore on their backs brought home the impact that breast cancer has on all types of families. And there were all types of people there. Breast cancer does not discriminate. I knew that but it was amazing to see it right in from me. I continually saw "in memory" signs. "In memory of my Aunt", worn by a whole family of women, "In memory of my Mom" worn by a girl that couldn't have been more than 15.And perhaps the image that hit closest to home was a lady who had a beautiful scarf on her head, walking with her husband and a baby around Carson's age in a stroller. I had a huge lump in my throat. That could be me. There are no guarantees that that won't be me. So we must continue to fight. Beyond October. Beyond races. There were signs all over saying "Early Detection is key". I will take that to heart. I made Kate a "pink ribbon" shirt to wear yesterday. I want Kate to grow up in a world knowing that the pink ribbon stands for a CURE for breast cancer instead of awareness.

I was honored to wear this sign on my back.






3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Way to go Bets. Your post made me tear up.... Thanks for your thoughts, for your hope and for taking action.

I remembered only this morning that yesterday was the day you were gonna run and I had intended to walk in your Mom's honor and it totally slipped my mind. Grrrrr.... If it isn't on the calendar my mind these days just doesn't remember.

Proud of you and I know it meant so much to your Mom.

Randi Freeby said...

You are a precious person. Thank you for being you and having such a heart for others.

Sweets said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You're heart is as big as Texas & the tears flow as I think of just how fortunate I am to have you as a friend! I'm honored & grateful!
-Sharon

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6