Sunday, December 13, 2009

13.1 Miles

It has been almost 6 months since I wrote THIS POST entitled "This is War!" I made a commitment to myself and to my family to take my health back. Along the way I have had road blocks, such as changing schedules, sickeness (my own and my babies), lack of motivation and many others. But I never stopped. I just kept pushing on towards my goal. To cross that finish line this morning was a feeling of great victory. To put my finisher medal around Kate's neck was a sweet moment for me. Yes I did this for myself but I also did it for my family. I did it to show my kids that what seemed impossible (at least to me) can be possible if you really make the commitment to do it. I could not do this alone. Jared's constant support and motivation was essential. My running partner Hope kept me going on my long runs. The long runs are where I actually thought that maybe 13.1 miles was in my future. It is a sweet experience to accomplish your goal. I am so thankful to God that he answered my prayer this morning for strength, endurance and most of all for my safety.
Jared took this picture as I was coming up to meet him after the race . I was very tired and sore but oh so happy!

The registration for the race was closed when I tried to sign up so I put out an announcement on Facebook that I was looking for someone who couldn't run the Rock so that I could take their place. My friend Brenda sent me a message saying that her running partner's husband was injured and couldn't run. That was my open door. So for the purpose of the race my name was Paul Steen. Thanks Paul!


5 comments:

Stacey at Giggles and Glue Sticks said...

Hooray! Betsy, that is awesome!

I'm calling you right now...

Carolyn said...

Good for you! So happy that you crossed the finish line and accomplished your goal. So proud of you! Thankful you didn't have to push the double stroller for 13.1miles (altho I am sure that training was helpful!!) Way to go.

Randi Freeby said...

Way to go!! So proud of you.

Chesley said...

I had no idea when I saw you today at school you had, had such an accomplishment over the weekend. Great Job Betsy!!! I love how you said you wanted to take your health back. I need to be doing that. Haveing kids sure takes it out of a person or at least me.

Chesley said...

How about having instead of haveing. :)
I just had to address that.

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6