Friday, April 23, 2010

Free at Last!!

As I write that post title I am thinking that that exclamation belongs more to Kate's parents than it does to her. I think that she felt free already. And save for 2 weeks at the beginning I think she feels like this purple sock is a part of her. When that buzz saw started up (she was scared and started crying even with Daddy's firm hold and Mommy holding her hand:( ) I felt like we were saying good bye to a very important chapter in her life. What a blessing this cast was. I know! So crazy for me to say that but I feel like it really was! And I say that in no Pollyannaish way. This cast showed me what our girl is made of! Pure toughness and an attitude that says, "Nothing is going to get in my way." Where I would still be hobbling on crutches she was running. Where I would have refused to go anywhere she was walking the length of the zoo refusing to ride in the stroller. In fact, when we went to the zoo on Wednesday we passed a guy in his 20s who was in a wheel chair and had a cast on that was very similar to Kate's. He said, "Here I have been feeling sorry for myself and look at her go! She makes me feel like I should get up and start walking!" We should all take a lesson from our kids in this area I have decided. Kids have no knowledge of pity parties or the fact that they CAN'T do something until a grown up tells them they can't. At the beginning of this journey 5 weeks ago I was thinking she won't be able to walk with that cast on..and you know what? She did! She didn't walk, she ran! I got to experience the milestone of Kate walking again! What a blessing. I also thought she couldn't go to her little school, surely they won't want to deal with a little girl with a cast on her leg. But when I talked to the director she said that it would be no problem. I got to see compassion on a whole other level from her teachers and of course her little friends. Someday I will tell her about this little journey that she went on her life. How brave she was and how fearless she was. How she didn't let anything get her way. I pray that she will always have this attitude. I also pray that as a Mommy I will let her have this attitude and not get in her way. I just thank God so much for leading us through this journey and for healing her leg. But I praise Him most of all for teaching me through our little girl how to live life.


Our girl dancing with her purple sock one last time

The most tears were shed this morning during the cast removal. That saw can be pretty scary!

A concerned brother

The Big Reveal

Hello Sweet Leg we have missed you!


A sticker made it all better, and a hug from Mommy of course!

Not to mention a hug from Daddy :)

I never thought I would learn so much from a cast

1 comments:

Carolyn said...

Yay for Kate! So proud of you for being such a strong and brave little girl. You did great! Love you and am happy that you are free!

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6