Sunday, August 9, 2009

50 Smiles

When I was a kid my family would take these summer road trips from Chicago to Shreveport to see my grandparents. When my brothers and I would get bored and restless we would ask my Dad, "How many more miles Dad?" He would answer us, "Not miles kids, it's SMILES!" To which my brothers and I would either laugh or collectively groan depending on which part the trip we were on. I always think about my Dad saying that when I run and it keeps me going if not smiling.

Tonight I broke the 50 mile total barrier with a good 4 mile run. I mean I really didn't think I had it in me to run 4 miles. I didn't think my body would let me do it. Let's face it I have been pregnant for 18 months of the last 2 years. I have put on 100 pounds in those last 2 years. Sixty lbs with Kate and then before I had a chance to breathe I was putting on the 40 lbs I gained with Carson.It's crazy when you think about it that way. But there I was tonight huffing and puffing my way to 4 miles.

Tomorrow when I go to cross my 4 mile run off of the calendar in my cubicle I will do it with a big smile on my face. Ha! I ran 4 miles. So bring on your bad week. Bring on your short funds to close, 3% flood insurance deductible, unacceptable survey, no source for big deposits, tractor buying borrower week.(I had to write that last sentence so that someday I can look back and laugh because it's too soon to laugh at the week I had last week. But someday I will). The confidence that I have from running 4 miles will last me through Monday and maybe Tuesday. But the confidence that I have through God and Jesus will last me a lot longer than that. I lost sight of that last week but God still showed me that He is in control and that he is near. He always is.

1 comments:

Carolyn said...

HA! Benj often quotes your Dad in the same way when we travel....

Loved catching up on on your posts...good job.

Way to go on the run, on the cake, on the cute kids! Seems like there is no down time for you these days :)

I am doing laundry and we are prepping to head to DC on Wed.

Love ya, Care

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6