Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Carson's Sleep Formula

So I finally went in last night after he had been crying for a little while longer. I put my hands on his tired little body and I prayed over him. I prayed that God would quiet his little body down and relax him. I prayed that he would have good sleeps and good rest. I prayed for his health and for his physical protection. Then I had a brainstorm which most people won't think is a brainstorm at all. I flipped him on his tummy. And with a couple of minutes of rubbing his head and his back simultaneously he was asleep. He slept for a good 6 hours like that until about 4 am which is a huge blessing. Even then I just went in and put his pacifier in and he fell back asleep until 8. I remember a couple of friends telling me that their babies didn't get a good nights rest until they started sleeping on their tummies. Now I'm not foolish enough to say this is his preferred way of sleeping. But it worked last night and that's enough for me today.I do have to say something about how unnatural it was for me to hear him cry like that last night and not going to comfort him. Every part of me wanted to go and pick up that chubby little boy and hug him close to me. But I knew that would only prolong his "learning experience." Then I had a thought. This is just the beginning of letting Carson feeling some discomfort so that he can learn an important life lesson. When I think about what lays ahead letting him cry himself to sleep is nothing. But it's big enough for today. One step at a time.

0 comments:

God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6